I got this recipe from my friend Jess when I was in college. She made it for me when I was at her house for a night of dinner, wine, and Tangled. It was delicious and when I found out how easy this recipe was it quickly made its way into my rotation of crock pot dinners.
I love this because it’s so easy to make enough to parcel out into Tupperware for lunch the following day. I usually take my veggies and put them in a separate Tupperware container so I’m not microwaving my avocado. For whatever reason I’m not a fan of hot avocado. It’s just weird.
If you’re so inclined, you can use a tortilla and roll the chicken into a burrito, but Kenneth and I are complete and utter failures at making burritos that don’t fall apart after 30 seconds, so we’ve basically given up on anything involving tortillas and just mix everything together in a bowl and chow down.
- 3 chicken breasts
- Salsa, enough to cover the chicken (about 1-2 cups)
- 4-6 cloves of garlic (depending on your love of garlic)
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-2 teaspoons red chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For sides, I love making this with a side of rice and then chopping up some avocado, onion, tomato, and bell pepper, cheese, and some extra salsa and mixing it up. However, if you want to mix other stuff into your delicious concoction go for it! And maybe post your suggestions in the comments?
- Dump all the ingredients into your crock pot
- Set on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3 (depending on how hot/fast your crock pot cooks)
- After your chicken is done you’ll want to shred it, you can use two forks or do what I did and toss it in your KitchenAid mixer until everything is shredded