For some reason I always thought that salad with vegetables shouldn’t include fruit. I have no idea where this weird belief came from, but I was pretty adamant about it until a few years ago when I started trying more salads that included fruit.
There’s a fast food chain that has a salad similar to this, I discovered it when we moved about a month before our wedding. I was surprised that a) I really liked a salad that had strawberries on it and b) that a fast food restaurant offered such a delicious healthy option (I looked online later and found it was on some health site’s top 10 most healthy fast food options) so I decided to try making it at home.
We’ve tried this salad with pomegranate vinaigrette, raspberry vinaigrette, and of course poppy seed – they’re all good, but there’s something we particularly love about the poppy seed that has us using this dressing more than the others. Experiment and find a dressing you adore and let me know if it’s not one I have listed – we’re always looking to try new things!
- 2 stalks of heart of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 ½-2 cups sliced strawberries (less or more depending on your strawberry preference)
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ an onion, chopped
- 2 grilled chicken breasts, chopped
- ¼ cup sliced almonds (optional)
- ¼ cup feta cheese (optional)
- ¼ cup poppy seed dressing
- In a large bowl add lettuce, strawberries, avocado, onions, almonds, and feta cheese
- Let chicken cool for a few minutes before adding to salad
- Add poppy seed dressing, toss and serve